Skip to main content
Junaluska Heritage Association

Boone Mennonite Brethren Church History

Boone Mennonite Brethren Church

The Boone Mennonite Brethren Church.

Establishing the Church

In the heart of Junaluska sits the Boone Mennonite Brethren Church, home to the largest Mennonite congregation in North Carolina.  The Boone Church was built in 1918 and founded by Rev. Joseph Tschetter and his wife Katharina. The two were ordained missionaries of the Krimmer Mennonites, with religious roots in southern Russia and Germany. The two missionaries made their way to North Carolina in 1903, leaving behind the Plains of the Midwest for the mountains of southern Appalachia. It would be here where the Tschetters would join their fellow Mennonites in assisting with the Salem Mennonite Misson Church and Orphanage in Elk Park, Avery County serving the African American population of the region (1).

By 1911, Rev. Tschetter began holding Mennonite services in neighboring Watauga County within what became the Junaluska community of Boone. In 1917, he organized a Mennonite congregation with eight original members, and built the church that still stands today the following year. Since the opening of the Boone Mennonite Brethren Church doors, the size of the congregation continues to grow as the community has made the Church their own (2).


Boone Mennonite Brethren Church History